Friday, April 14, 2006

"Home" church

by Justin W

In a world where trashing the church became so common that people no longer even bother to do so; where Ghandi claimed that were it not for Christians he would be one, and others have assumed his mantra; where churches are often warned and even chastised by their teachers and pastors for too closely resembling those who would have stoned the woman caught in adultery, this often-cynic (known, I'm sure, to my shame by many in Christ's church at Lambrick for pointing the finger and much worse, even) begs the opportunity to laud this community.

Quite recently, Randy Hein voiced to me his compassionate concern that I had no fellowship I could call home. Was this true, I wondered? I have always considered the Place to my "home" church--my community in Christ--yet of late I had been venturing to new communities as well. Perhaps I misunderstood his concern. Perhaps he misunderstood me. Perhaps not. Regardless, in the week following this brief conversation, I was twice blessed with unsolicited understanding of the true meaning of a 'home' fellowship in Christ. And those were just the catalysts God used to bring me to an even fuller understanding: Home is where I go when I'm tired; home is where I go when I need to be loved; home is where I end up when I've been stumbling around, lost; and home is where I go to celebrate. Home is made up of people who look forward to seeing me, and love me. Home is a place I can be away from nearly forever, and still return to a warm embrace. Home is where I find forgiveness and sanctuary. In this community are individuals who defy Ghandi's stereotype and challenge the world's definition of "Christian"; people who offer unbridled hope and faith unwaivering; people who offer grace, love and encouragement to me, me!, a child of many harsh and cutting words, who truly has not one redemptive quality save for Christ in me. In the veins of these people pump the very life that Yeshua, Messiah gave and was resurrected to two-thousand years ago. This church is my home; these people my fellow members in the Body. Thank-you for being my home. Praise the Lord for His abundant blessing on me, that I should be one with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Home is where I go when I'm tired; home is where I go when I need to be loved; home is where I end up when I've been stumbling around, lost; and home is where I go to celebrate. Home is made up of people who look forward to seeing me, and love me. Home is a place I can be away from nearly forever, and still return to a warm embrace. Home is where I find forgiveness and sanctuary." - I believe this sums up The Place Community very well...at least in my opinion!

~Nicole