Sunday, January 14, 2007

Out of the ashes: A Cinderella story

"Out of the Ashes: a Cinderella Story" was inspired by the book Sacred Romance in which John Eldredge and Brent Curtis use the imagery of us (guys included) as Cinderella. As the bride of Christ, we all long for our heavenly Prince to pursue us. One day I took some time to think about what it would have been like to have that first meeting with Jesus as Cinderella and ended up writing this story.

As I'm kneeling in the ashes in front of the fireplace I glance over at the doorway to see a figure there. He is handsome and so pure that he appears to be shining. I quickly drop my eyes. I am so ashamed that he sees me kneeling in the soot, clothed in tattered rags, and dirty from head to foot. Tears streak down the grime on my face. I hear the gentle padding sound of walking across the kitchen floor and I soon see his feet appear in front of me. To my surprise he kneels and gently takes my chin into his hand. As he lifts up my face I hear a deep throaty laugh and as my eyes meet his I am startled by his loving gaze that seems to pierce my very being. "Do not be ashamed my dear one. You are the one I have been longing and waiting for and I have come for you." His words shatter my soul. As I take his hand and am lifted up out of the ashes I am transformed. I have been made pure and am dirty and rag-covered no longer. I am replete in shining ball gown and crystal dancing slippers. I leave that place with my prince by my side to enter into the ballroom of life. I am a slave no more.

Susie

No comments: